Helping to improve stakeholders understanding and awareness of rehabilitation in the Upper Hunter
The Upper Hunter Mining Dialogue has developed several education resources regarding our land management and rehabilitation projects for Upper Hunter stakeholders.
These resources will help improve community understanding of how mining operations in the Upper Hunter work to rehabilitate mined land to a safe and stable landform, and how rehabilitation is regulated by the NSW Government to ensure quality outcomes for the Upper Hunter communities.
Please see below for more detailed posters outlining the key components of the Dialogue’s land management projects.
Upper Hunter Mining Dialogue Resources
- Mining’s Hidden Face: Rehabilitation could be described as the hidden face of mining in the Upper Hunter, as aim of good rehabilitation is to make the formerly mined land look as “natural” as possible.
- Rebuilding the Land: Rehabilitation is rebuilding or regenerating mined land to a safe and stable landform.
- Rules of Rehabilitation: All mines follow a cycle beginning with exploration and moving on to government approval, production and closure.
- Security for the Future: Rehabilitation of mined land is planned long before mining begins and continues well after mining has finished.
- Grazing Study: An Upper Hunter Mining Dialogue trial of grazing beef cattle on rehabilitated mining land shows rehabilitated mined lands can be used as commercially productive pasture after mining has ended.
The Dialogue has been a strong advocate for a review of the Upper Hunter Synoptic Plan, which will seek to provide a framework for the final landform of the Upper Hunter post-mining. The Department of Regional NSW continues to lead this project and other economic diversification and post-mining projects on behalf of the NSW Government.
- Vision for the Future: The Upper Hunter Mining Dialogue is taking a leading role in the development of a new vision for the future of the Upper Hunter.
NSW Government Resources
The NSW Government has recently released a suite of information regarding rehabilitation that may be of interest. Please see below for relevant links to this information:
Rehabilitation Information Releases – The information releases provide guidance about the successful completion of rehabilitation at various sites in NSW. To view all publications, please click the link below: https://www.resourcesregulator.nsw.gov.au/environment/publications
Regulating Mine Rehabilitation Video – RR recently published a video showcasing rehabilitation at NSW sites and how this is regulated, including several operations in the Upper Hunter.
Mine Rehabilitation News – RR recently released a new rehabilitation-focused newsletter to communicate all environment related matters under the Mining Act including the release of further good practice rehabilitation case studies, guidance materials and other related information.
To subscribe to this news, please click the link below: https://nsw.us2.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=d8b64a3fbc7f2ff2db8ec673b&id=6d7810af78