Ensuring sustainable and responsible use of the region’s water resources
Water is a vital and valued resource for our environment, our communities, and many businesses across the Upper Hunter.
It is important that water is used responsibly by mining operations and water quality is managed to ensure water resources in the region are sustainable.
Water is a key environmental focus of the Dialogue and we work to address issues and concerns raised under this theme via two objectives:
- Develop a better understanding of the region’s water resources and the existing and potential impacts of development on the Hunter Valley catchment.
- Demonstrate and promote responsible and efficient use and management of water in the Hunter Valley.
There are a number of projects underway to achieve these goals:
- Water Accounting Framework
- Hunter River Water Quality (HRSTS) Assessment
- Hunter Valley Bioregional Assessment and Water Resource Map
The Dialogue has also developed a range of Water Quality and Stewardship Resources, as well as working with relevant Government Departments to promote their resources to our stakeholders.